There are countless things to get done when opening a cafe, from getting the premises and renovating it to hiring a team and buying a coffee machine.
Here’s a useful 17 point Checklist of Things to Do When Opening a Cafe:
- Write a Detailed Business Plan
- Find Partners and Investors to Help Finance and Run the Business
- Find a Good Location for the Café’s Business Premises
- Negotiate the Lease or Purchase of the Outlet’s Property
- Choose a Cool Name for the Café
- Incorporate a Company to Operate the Café
- Sign the Lease for the Property and Pay the Required Deposit
- Get a few Proposals & Compare Costs for Different Renovation Options
- Choose a Designer & Contractor for the Design & Build of the new Café
- Purchase all Bar, Kitchen and Service Equipment to fit the design plans
- Make sure the Electricals and Plumbing are planned at the same time
- Confirm the Food and Beverage Menu Items, their Recipes and Costs
- Hire all the necessary staff in the kitchen, bar and for customer service
- Train the new team in their areas of specialty and Refine their skillsets
- Order and Purchase all the Food, Drinks and Stocks needed to run the bar and kitchen
- Conduct a Food and Drinks tasting session with the whole team
- Do a trial run serving friends and family before opening to the public
If you’ve started or managed a cafe before, this process will be a lot easier than if you’re doing it for the first time.
For new owners who don’t have the startup experience, it would be a good idea to hire a manager who comes with the necessary knowledge to setup systems, train the staff and get the cafe opened.